Developing a partnership with a medical device design company is a big step on your product development journey. It makes sense to visit the company in person to meet the people and see the facilities that it offers. At Arrotek, we regularly host clients at our location in Sligo, Ireland.
If you are considering visiting us here at Arrotek, what can you expect? How do you get here and what is Sligo like? We answer some of the most commonly asked questions below.
Arrotek’s Medical Device Design and Manufacturing Facility
Our purpose-built facility in Sligo currently covers 50,000 sq. ft., but we are in the process of extending to enhance our capabilities. The services we offer include medical device design, regulatory evaluations, prototype production, feasibility assessments, manufacturing, and assembly. Watch our virtual tour video for a sneak preview of what you will see in-person on your visit.
Getting to Sligo
Several of Ireland’s airports offer excellent transfer links to Sligo. The best options include:
Dublin Airport is Ireland’s biggest airport with the most flights and routes. It is also the busiest airport in Ireland and one of the busiest in Europe. Over 40 airlines fly to and from Dublin Airport covering destinations throughout the UK and Europe, as well as North America, the Middle East, and Africa. The airport is 7km (4.3 miles) from Dublin city centre.
At Arrotek, we encourage those visiting to avail of car hire from Dublin Airport. The trip from Dublin Airport to Sligo is 214km and takes about 2 hours 30 minutes.
Ireland West Airport Knock
Ireland West Airport Knock is the closest airport to Sligo, with a transfer time of less than an hour. It offers a limited number of routes, mostly to and from cities in the UK, although there are some European routes as well. This includes Barcelona, Cologne, and Milan.
Shannon Airport is further away than Ireland West Airport Knock with a transfer time of less than 2 hours 30 minutes. However, it offers more UK and European routes, as well as flights to and from the US. This makes Shannon Airport a great alternative to Dublin Airport.
Belfast International Airport
Belfast International Airport is in Northern Ireland, but it is still only 2 hours 45 minutes from Sligo, so it is also a good alternative to Dublin Airport. The routes available include most large cities in the UK and a wide range of European cities. There are also flights to and from Orlando and Las Vegas in the US.
Belfast City Airport
Belfast City Airport is a small airport that is also 2 hours 45 minutes from Sligo. It is a good option if you are coming from the UK.
Sligo and the Surrounding Area
Sligo is located in the north west of Ireland on the Atlantic Coast. The city and surrounding area captured the imagination of poet and Nobel Laureate WB Yeats, and it continues to intrigue visitors today.
The town itself is bustling with activity day and night, with excellent restaurants, cafes, and traditional Irish pubs. The surrounding countryside is also stunning, with the Wild Atlantic Way coastline (and some of the best surfing in Europe), beautiful lakes to the east, and the picturesque Benbulben Mountain.
Sligo also has a thriving business community with both international corporations and successful local businesses. Industries that have a significant presence in Sligo include technology, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices.
Medical Device Industry in Sligo
The medical device industry in Ireland is well established, with over 300 companies. Most of those companies operate from regional hubs around Ireland – Sligo and the north west of Ireland is one of those regional hubs.
International corporations like Abbott, AbbVie, B. Braun, and Amcor have large operations in Sligo, as well as locally founded MedTech companies like Arrotek.
Places to Stay
There are multiple hotel options available in Sligo and the surrounding area:
- The Glasshouse Hotel – 4-star city centre hotel – 1.9km from Arrotek
- Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa – 4-star hotel with fantastic views over Sligo Bay – 5.2km from Arrotek
- Clayton Hotel – 4-star hotel in a beautiful historical building – 3.7km from Arrotek
- Sligo Southern Hotel & Leisure Centre – 4-star city centre hotel – 2.1km from Arrotek
- Sligo Park Hotel – newly refurbished 4-star hotel – 5.7km from Arrotek
We have corporate rates with a number of these hotels and our visitors can avail of these rates when coming to visit us at Arrotek.
Things to See and Do
What else is worth seeing and doing when visiting Arrotek in Sligo? Some highlights include:
- The Wild Atlantic Way
- Walking and hiking, including Benbulben or Knocknarea
- Lough Gill, a location that was the inspiration for some of W.B. Yeats’ poems
- Beaches, including Rosses Point Beach and Strandhill Beach (a top choice for surfers)
- Enjoying a pint of Guinness in Thomas Connolly, a traditional Irish pub, or experience some traditional Irish music in Mc Lynn’s Bar
- Eating locally caught seafood or one of the other delicious options at Eala Bhán or Bridgefoot House
- Golfing, including at the Colt Championship Links course at County Sligo Golf Club. Other golf courses to play in the local area include the fantastic dunes at Enniscrone Golf Club, Strandhill Golf Club with its stunning views of the ocean and Knocknarea mountain, and Castle Dargan Golf Course in the heart of Yeats Country.
Making Your Trip Productive and Enjoyable
We’re here to help you get as much out of your trip to Arrotek as possible, including answering all your questions, giving you a full tour of our operations, and introducing you to the key people who will be involved in your project. If you have any queries or would like assistance in planning your visit, please get in touch.